Water heaters have become a staple in many homes over the years as it not only provides a continuous source of heated water but it also helps in keeping a house warm during cold months.
However, since water heating is the is the second largest expense in most homes, people must be able to choose the right type which is not only economical for them but can also provide the right functions they need.
There are various types of water heaters including:
- Conventional storage water heaters which offer a ready reservoir (storage tank) of hot water
- Tankless or demand-type water heaters which directly heats water without a storage tank.
- Heat pump water heaters which move heat from one place to another
- Solar water heaters
- Tankless coil and indirect water heaters which uses a home’s space heating system.
Apart from the type of water heater, homeowners must also be able to use the following criteria when selecting a unit:
- Fuel type, availability, and cost which affect annual operation costs and energy efficiency.
- Size which determines whether or not a unit will be able to provide enough hot water to a household.
- Energy efficiency which helps on maximizing cost savings.
- Costs which helps in estimating annual operating rates.